In this week’s New Yorker Paul Bloom makes the case that empathy must yield to reason to save a suffering Read more
Direct-to-learner delivery of tiered behavioral interventions
Lots of programs enable behavioral assessment and tracking of those assessments. Only one, Ripple Effects, provides direct-to-learner, tiered delivery of a full spectrum of culturally responsive, actual behavioral interventions without loss of fidelity to best practices.
RTI – A formidable mandate
The legal mandate to provide early intervening services to all students whose behavior puts them at risk for referral to discipline or special education before exclusion from the classroom puts schools in a bind. They agree with the intent BUT . . .
It may rest on impossible assumptions
This mandate implicitly assumes every teacher can:
- Master the whole range of proven strategies to affect student behavior
- And know the whole range of underlying risk factors that propel problem behavior
- And make the right match between the most relevant set of psychosocial strategies and the sum of each student’s strengths + behavior + underlying risks
- And have at hand the whole set of instructional practices to meet diverse learners’ needs
- And do it all in ways that control for teachers’ own possible cultural bias
- And respect student and family rights to privacy in the process
- And document the whole thing along the way . . .
All while still managing to teach all the other students to perform at grade level!
It’s an impossible burden for most teachers, but not for Ripple Effects.
Ripple Effects Whole Spectrum, Software-based Intervention System
* Builds in fidelity to best practice through locked content and expert system technology
* Provides more than 11 instructional modes per tutorial to reach diverse learners
* Is comprehensive; 700 self-contained multimedia interventions
* Includes three kinds of assessment tools
* Tracks dosage data for easy reporting
* Addresses behavior from teacher and student perspectives
* Is engaging, interactive, and culturally inlcusive
A complete system of digital and print resources supports effective and sustainable implematation of RTI and Multi-tiered Systems of Support (MTSS)
Using Ripple Effects for behavioral RTI/MTSS is easy, efficient and effective
- Identify a starting point: a specific barrier that can be flipped into a goal
Discipline infractions are often the starting point for levels 2 and 3.
- Direct students to the learning style tutorial first
Understanding how they learn most easily is usually students’ best first step toward success with social-emotional, as well as academic, learning.
- Assign a topic that matches the behavioral concern you have identified
Social skill deficits and 95% of school-based infractions are included. Each multimedia tutorial automatically leads to training in a relevant set of best practices, usually cognitive-behavioral strategies, for addressing that problem.
- Invite students to scroll down the topics and see if they can find an underlying reason
Trust their instincts to find what they need. Often after using the program, students will disclose the underlying problem. Meanwhile, respect their privacy. Don’t hover or over direct.
- End with building a strength – training in core social-emotional abilities
Seven core social-emotional abilities are broken down into 100 Lego™like, skill-building tutorials. Let students put together a set that matches their personal goal.
- Check for content mastery
Use the student tracking system to confirm students have completed interactive parts.
- Measure outcomes
Export Ripple Effects dosage data to correlate outcomes with student information system and/or pre-to-post measures.